Petition forms are available to nominate candidates for the Saugerties Central School District Board of Education. The forms may be picked up in the Superintendent’s Office in the Hildebrandt Building behind the Jr./Sr. High School on Washington Avenue Extension between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. each business day. Sixty-one (61)) signatures of qualified voters are required; however, it is recommended that candidates get at least 120 signatures in case some signatures cannot be verified.
To qualify for membership on the school board an individual:
· Must be able to read and write.
· Must be a qualified voter of the District; i.e., a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years or older, and not a convicted felon or adjudged an incompetent.
· Must be and have been a resident of the District for at least one year prior to the election, but need not be a taxpayer.
· May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding one year.
· May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
· May not be a current employee of the school board.
· May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
The three seats to be filled in the May 15, 2012 election, which are for three-year terms, are currently held by Teresa Bach-Tucker, E. Duane Taylor and Richard Petramale. Petitions are due by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, April 16, 2012, to the District Clerk in the Superintendent’s Office. On Tuesday, April 17th, the candidate drawing for ballot position will be held at 11:00 a.m. All candidates are invited to attend.