|
|
|
The Dansville Online
  • Update: Bath resident killed in blaze

    • email print
      Comment
  • BATH | An early morning fire killed one resident and injured another Monday in downtown Bath.
    The blaze was reported at approximately 1:30 a.m. in the back apartment on the second floor above Sherwood’s Wine & Liquor at 12 W. Steuben St., said Matt Glashauser, third assistant fire chief of the Bath Fire Department.
    Authorities would not release the names of the residents.
    The resident who survived escaped by jumping from a second-story window, said Bath State Police Inv. Don Rodbourn. That person was treated and released from Ira Davenport Memorial Hospital.
    The victim’s body was sent to the Monroe County Medical Examiner’s Office in Rochester for positive identification, Rodbourn said.
    At least 10 fire departments responded to the scene of the fire, which is still under investigation by New York State Police and the Steuben County Office of Emergency Management.
    The second floor of the building sustained smoke and fire damage, Glashauser said. The store, which is up for sale, sustained water damage.
    Officials said the fire was contained to that building, although neighboring businesses Stephanie’s Restaurant and The Steuben Courier Advocate - The Leader’s sister paper - were closed Monday.
    Publisher Phil Husick said the Courier Advocate building smelled of smoke and a water pipe had burst. He said he hoped the newspaper offices would be open for business today.
    A woman who answered the phone at Stephanie’s declined to comment.
    Both businesses were without power until about 10 a.m. while crews replaced two wires and a meter, according to Mark Hawk, overhead line supervisor at Bath Electric Gas and Water Systems.
    “One wire ran along behind the apartment and flames came out the window and burned the wire down,” Hawk said.
    Utility crews cut the other line at the request of firefighters, Hawk said.

        calendar